Monday, April 14, 2008

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH MS DHONI



You are the T20 World Cup winning captain, the skipper of India's first-ever Tri-series triumph Down Under too. Now that expectations are bound to multiply, are you under more pressure as captain?

I always go by my own expectations. Of course, it's important to perform well and give your hundred percent. There will be additional responsibility on all guys after our showing in
Australia, but we should not get burdened under the weight of huge expectations.
We should know what we are capable of and what we should do to get the desired results.

Did you always lead your group of friends too before you suddenly got the reigns of Indian cricket?

I am not really a born leader. In fact, I haven't led any side before I became the Indian captain.
But I always back my instincts. When the Indian captaincy was given to me, I took it as a challenge and a privilege.

Since you never led any team before actually becoming the Indian captain, how do you manage to look so comfortable in what is a very tough job?


It is very tough and very demanding, no doubt. Cricket is a religion in India. The expectation levels are too high. We play right through the year and people want us to win every game wherever we play. I guess if you have a good side with lots of potential, it eases the pressure
on you.

Some comments have been attributed to you suggesting that you tried to create a divide between seniors and juniors. It also gave the impression that your success has gone to your head?

A lot has already been said about it, I think I am a fairly level-headed guy. My team knows it and all the seniors know that I have a lot of respect for them. It was a needless controversy.
The team is strongly united. The players love and respect each other. That's what matters to me.

But the fact that BCCI chief Sharad Pawar had to intervene and actually drive home a point by announcing that you got the job only on the recommendation of Sachin Tendulkar...

Sachin Tendulkar is my childhood hero. I watched cricket only because of him and started playing the game too because of him. So I take it as a privilege that he found me worthy enough for the job. I am also grateful to the BCCI chief for making it clear that there's no division within the team. This is like one big family.
When I started playing for India we had great role models in the team like Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman and Virender Sehwag. I have always respected, and appreciated what every senior in the side has achieved because I know the kind of hard work and sacrifice that is needed to be successful at this level.
I have been impressed by Tendulkar's focus and devotion, Dravid's discipline, Kumble's determination, Ganguly's never-say-die attitude and Sehwag's audacity and will to dominate the bowling.

Did you ever dream of such a turnaround in your life and career?

I don't dream much. I live in reality. I plan for the future and I believe in taking one step at a
time. But, I give more than hundred per cent not just in matches but also in practice sessions. Luckily, I've been pretty successful in whatever I have touched so far.

No comments: